After upgrading to latest OS X Yosemite you many need to setup again file sharing options. We already posted file sharing guides for different version of OS X like Lion, Mavericks and now for OS X Yosmite. The process to share files from OS X Yosmite to Windows 8 is very much similar to old one. Lets see how to share Yosemite files or folders with Windows 8 over WiFi or LAN.
See also: Share Internet Connecton Mac OS X
Share Files Mac OS X Yosemite to Windows 8
Note: Both Windows and OS X computers must using same WiFi or Cable internet connection.
Steps on Mac OS X Yosemite
First we need to enable file sharing option on OS X Yosemite and then setup few option in it. So, click on Apple icon and select System Preferences.
On System Preferences windows click on Sharing icon to open sharing window.
Here on Sharing window
- Enable File Sharing option.
- Select folder that you want to share with Windows by clicking on + sign, as you can see below a “ScreenShots” folder is added in the list. You can add more that one folder.
- After that select folder from the list and then select User name from the right side (You can create and add a different user If its not already in the list.). Finally set the rights for the user to Read and Write or according to the requirement
We need to set few more sharing options so,
- Click the Option button.
- Check the option “Share files and folders using SMB
- Select Username as show below.
- Enter the password if prompted.
- click OK and then Done buttons.
Note down the IP address of you Mac computer as show below.
Steps on Windows
Now got to your Windows computer and hit the Win+R keys from keyboard to open Run window. In Run windows Type the IP address of your Mac computer followed by two back-slashes as show below (See the previous step-5 to find IP address of your Mac). Hit Ok button to access Mac computer.
Enter the Username and password for the user that you selected while sharing folder in Step-3.3 on OS X.
After entering correct username and password you will able to see shared folder and files of Mac on Windows.
Please use comments form below if you have any question.