WindowsApps folder in the Program Files folder is a system folder and hidden by default in Windows 10. Even you already showed the hidden files and folder; you can’t access it. Whenever you try to open it, you will get a message alert “You have been denied permission to access this folder.” People usually need to access this folder when they want to see program files of and application installed through Windows Store. In this guide, we will learn how to view hidden WindowsApps folder and fix the problem and allow access to WindowsApp folder for the Windows user.
What is WindowsApps folder
WindowsApp is a folder where all the program files are stored that installed from the Windows / Microsoft Store. Apps installed from the Microsoft Store like Photos, Paint 3D, Movies & TV, People, Windows Camera and more. All the files related to these Store applications are installed in the WindowsApp folder. WindowsApp folder location is “C:\Program Files” folder and restricted to access by default.
Show hidden WindowsApps folder
If you can’t see WindowsApp folder in the program files folder, then this must be hidden with a windows settings by default.
- To unhide it just open the File Explorer.
- Click the “View” tab at the top and then Check the checkbox “Hidden Items” as shown in the screenshot.
Now all the hidden files and folders will be showing. Open C:\Program Files folder and look for WindowsApp folder here. You can also copy and paste the following path in the Run Window. Press Windows+R from the keyboard and then enter this:
Get Access to WindowsApps Folder
By default, WindowsApp folder is blocked, and you can’t view its content even you are logged in with an administrator account. To get access to Windows App folder you need to set up permissions. Let’s see how to allow Windows users to access WindowsApp folder.
- First, follow the steps given above how to show hidden WindowsApp folder.
- Right-click on the WindowsApp folder and select Properties option from the menu.
- On the Properties window, click “Security” tab and then click the “Advanced” button.
- In the “Advanced Security Settings for WindowsApp folder” window click the “Change” option.
- In “Select User or Group” window Click the “Advanced” button.
- From the advanced options of users or group Click the “Find Now” button. Now, from the search results below select “Administrators” and click OK button. Continue pressing OK buttons on previous windows until you have saved and closed all.
- Now, open then WindowsApp folder, press Windows + R keyboard shortcut to open Run window and then Enter:
%programfiles%\WindowsAppsand hit OK to open the folder. You can simply go to “C:\Program Files\WindowsApp” directly. When to try to open this folder you will see a message “You don’t currently have permission to access this folder.” Clik Continue to access this folder, and you can see all the files and folders in the WindowsApp folder.
If you still having any problem accessing this directory, please leave a comment below with your Windows version that you have installed. We try our best to fix your WindowsApp folder accessing problem.
What to do if this does not work, there are many guides like this one describing how to edit the security permissions. I have edited the security permissions, and updated the owner to my account; both in GUI and by cmd line. I am a member of administrator group, but I have tried as administrator also. I still cannot add or remove files from any sub folder in WindowsApps while running windows 10.