Your Phone app allows you to do different tasks like sending a text message directly from your PC without touching the Android phone. You can’t only view and send a message, you can also view photos from your phone on the PC. Microsoft planned to add more features for Your Phone app in the future releases.
Requirements to use Your Phone app
To view, send messages and to view photos of your phone on your PC, you have to meet the following requirements.
- Both PC and phone must be connected to the internet and you should allow the Your Phone app to keep running in the background.
- Your Android phone must have Android 7.0 Nougat of later version installed.
- Your computer must be running Windows 10 April 2018 Update 18.0 or later.
Setup Your Phone app
Your Windows might have the Your Phone app already because it was available to download in the 10 April 2018 1803 update. This app is preinstalled in the Windows 10 Oct 2018 Update 1809. If you want to check that you have installed it already then click the Start button and then type Your Phone. This will show you in the list of app. Otherwise just install it from the Store.
Steps on your PC
- Once you have installed the app on your PC, launch it.
- On the welcome screen click the Get Started button and sign in with your Microsoft account and then click Continue button.
- It’s time to link both your Phone and PC so they can communicate.
- On the next screen click the Link phone button. Now enter your phone number and hit Send, you will receive a link to download the Your Phone app on your mobile phone.
TIP: You can open up the Play Store on your Phone and search “Your Phone” app and install it directly.
Steps on your Android phone
- Open up the Your Phone app on your mobile phone.
- Click My PC is ready Checkbox and tap Connect my PC button at the bottom of the screen.
- Now tap the Sign in with Microsoft button and enter the same account email and password that you are using on PC.
- Keep following the onscreen instruction and allow the permissions requests related to text message and others.
Once you successfully link your Phone and Windows 10 PC its time to send a message from your PC.
How to send text message from PC
Once you have completed all the steps to setup Your Phone app on your PC and the Your Phone Companion app on your Android phone, now you need to follow these steps.
- On your Windows 10 PC open up the Your Phone app.
- Select the Messages icon on the left side and then click See text button in the middle of the screen.
- To send a new text message, click the New message button.
- Type the contact number or name and select it from the list. Enter you text message and hit enter to send it.