From few days when I start my computer I was seeing a desktop.ini file in notepad that opens on Windows start up containing the following text in it
[.ShellClassInfo] LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21787. Lets see how do I fix this to stop starting this notepad desktop.ini from windows 8 start-up and this might be work on Windows 7, Windows XP if you are having same problem.
Fix Desktop.ini Runs on Windows Start-up
Desktop.ini file text
I found few suggestions on the internet but it was not working on Windows 8. Following suggested method I tried to open the startup folder on Windows 8 but unable to open it and getting this error “Location is not available”, not accessible and access is denied.
Method that I am going to suggest you will work on Windows 8.x, 7, Vista, and XP. So, fast and easy solution to get rid from these start up files is to open the location of the file that open on windows start-up and remove them.
- First you need to show hidden files in Windows File Explorer,
Windows 10 : Open File Explorer > File tab > “Change folder and search options”.
Windows 8: Open File Explorer > View Tab > click “Options button on the toolbar”.
Windows 7: Click the Organize menu on File Explorer and on XP open “My Computer” and use the Tools menu.
- Once you open the Folder Options window click the View tab, first Select the “Show hidden files, folders and drives” option and secondly uncheck the “Hide Protected operating system files (Recommended)” option. Click the OK button to save the settings.
- Now go back to the file(s) that open on windows start-up, Click on Notepad File menu and select “Save As…” option this will option the location of the this file.
- On the Save As dialog box select “All Files (*.*)” option from the save as type drop-down menu.
- Doing this will display all the files available in the folder and delete the desktop.ini file or any other notepad files that start on Windows startup.
Did you manage to solve this problem on your windows, tell us below in comments.