Sometimes the websites you are browsing are acting and not giving visual layout or data results as expected. Here, clearing Cookies and cache files might help you to fix problems like that.
Cookies and cache files
Like other browsers, Microsoft Edge also stores website data in the form of Cookies, Cache files like Images, videos, etc. All these files are stored locally on your computer when you visit the website the first time. Cookies stored on your computer remember your site’s preferences like your cart items, colors, passwords, etc. All this stuff is stored on your computer so you have a better experience when visiting the website again.
Usually clearing cache and cookies is not required because they are designed to delete themselves after a specific time period. But, when you are having weird problems visiting any website then clearing the cache and deleting cookies data is the first thing.
What happens when you clear cache and cookies?
- It will log you out from all the accounts you logged in to.
- Clear all the preferences (visual, shopping cart, passwords, etc.)
In this guide:
- Clear browsing history
- Automatically Clear Cache on Exit
- Clear all Cookies on Microsoft Edge
- Clear cookies for a specific website
- Delete cookies data while browsing the website.
Clear Browsing History in Microsoft Edge Browser
- Open the Edge browser, click the three-dotted menu available at the right-top corner, and select the Settings option from the menu.
- In the next screen, select the ‘Privacy, search, and services’ option from the left side, and then click the ‘Choose what to clear’ button under the Clear browsing data section.
- Now, select the Time range like Last hour, Last 7 days, etc. I want to completely clear the browsing data, so I selected ‘All time’.
Check the box ‘Cache images and files’ if you want to clear the cached images and files as well.
Finally hit the ‘Clear now’ button to remove the Edge cache according to your selected settings.
NOTE: In the Edge browser, If you have signed up with your Microsoft account and synced the browser data across all the devices then this will clear the data from all the devices. you can click the ‘Sign out first’ link above the ‘Clear now’ button and this will clear the cache only from this device.
Automatically Clear Cache on Exit
Instead of clearing the Edge cache manually, you can modify the Edge setting to automatically clear all the cache on exit.
- Open the Edge settings, click the Three-dotted icon, and select the ‘Settings’ option from the menu.
- In the Settings screen click the option ‘Privacy, search, and service’ from the left side, and click the ‘Choose what to clear every time you close the browser’ option available on the right side under the Clear browsing data section.
- Under ‘Choose what to clear…’ settings you can choose whatever you want to delete from the browser every time you close the Edge browser.
Let’s say I want to delete all the cached images and files, so I turned on this switch.
- You can turn on different settings according to your requirements, You can clear the following settings on the exit of the Edge browser:
Browsing history, Download history, Cookies and other site data, Cached images and files, Passwords, Autofill from data (includes forms and cards.),
Exclude specific websites from clearing their data
Clear cache data from all except a few websites you like.
- Under the ‘Choose what to clear every time you close the browser’ section.
Turn on the Switch for ‘Cookies and other site data’
Click the ‘Add’ button to add a don’t clear data website.
- Enter the website URL address here, so this specific site’s data won’t be cleared when you close the browser. Hit Add button to save the settings.
Clear Cookies on Microsoft Edge
Cookies are small files that are created when you open a website, these files store your information related to the website.
Delete all Cookies at once
This method will clear all the stored cookies in the Edge browser for all the websites.
- Go to the Edge settings, click the dotted icon at the top-right corner, and select ‘Settings’ from the menu.
- Select ‘Cookies and site permissions’ from the left side and then select ‘Manage and delete cookies and site data’ on the right side.
- To view all the Edge browser cookies, click the ‘See all cookies and site data’ option
- On the next screen, you can see all the Cookies and data for the sites you browsed in the Edge. Just click the ‘Remove all’ button to clear all the site’s cookies data.
Clear Cookies of a specific website on the Edge browser
This method will clear all the cookies of all the websites browsed using the Edge browser, If you want to clear cookies for specific websites then follow the next method.
- Go to the Edge settings, click the Dotted icon in the top-right corner, and then select the ‘Settings’ option from the menu.
- Select the ‘Cookies and site permission’ option in the left panel and then select ‘Manage and delete cookies and site data’ under the Cookies and data stored section.
- On the next screen, click the ‘See all cookies and site data’ option as shown below.
- Let’s say we want to clear the cookies only for the trickyways.com website. So, search for the TrickyWays in the search box and delete all the cookies data for this website. Either you can click the ‘Remove all shown’ button below the search box or click the Trash icon next to each search result.
Delete cookies of a website while browsing it
Without going into the Edge settings you can directly delete the cookies of a website that you currently browsing.
- Simply click the lock icon on the left of the site’s URL address and then click the ‘Cookies’ option as shown below. You can see there are 32 cookies in use for this website.
- Select the website URL and click the ‘Remove’ button and then click ‘Done’ button to close the Cookies screen.
NOTE: There might be multiple URLs for a single website like with or without www. So, select each one by one and hit the Remove button to clear the Cookies data directly.
Was that helpful?
I hope you found here what you were looking for, If there was missing something or you still have any questions please leave a comment below and we would love to answer and solve the problems, Thanks.