Now Google released the developer preview 5 of Android 7.0 Nougat and it’s available to download. This is the final preview of Android Nougat 7.0. Last month Google released developer preview 4 with final APIs for Android Nougat and now this preview gives developers final system updates for all the supported devices, helping you to get your app ready for consumers. This release has latest and final Nougat APIs at API level 24 and the latest system behaviors.
What’s new in Android 7 Nougat developer preview 5 final update – July Update?
According to the David Burke (VP of Engineering) on Android developer blog, you will find the four major changes in Android 7 Nougat DP5 final release.
- System images for Nexus and other preview devices
- An emulator that you can use for doing the final testing of your apps to make sure they’re ready
- The final N APIs (API level 24) and latest system behaviors and U
- The latest bug fixes and optimizations across the system and in preinstalled apps
Knowing issues in DP5 Nougat
- Multi-window: MapView may be blank when resized in multi-window mode and not focused.
- Do Not Disturb: Do Not Disturb mode may be set at device reboot. To work around the issue, delete the existing rule for VR as follows: go to Settings > Sound > Do not disturb > Automatic Rules and tap the trash icon next to the VR rule.
- Vulkan support and multiple APKs in Google Play: On devices running Developer Preview 5, Google Play services 9.0.83 currently reports Vulkan support but not Vulkan version. This can cause Google Play to select a version of a multi-APK app that’s designed for lower Vulkan support on devices with higher version support. Currently, the Google Play Store does not accept uploads of Apps which use Vulkan version targeting. This support will be added to the Google Play Store in the future any Android N devices using the Google Play services 9.0.83 will continue to receive versions of Apps targeting basic Vulkan support.
- Stability: Users may encounter system instability (such as kernel panics and crashes).
- Camera: Apps may encounter Intermittent issues recording and playing back video at 240fps.
- Screen zoom and multiple APKs in Google Play: On devices running Developer Preview 5, Google Play services 9.0.83 incorrectly reports the current screen density rather than the stable screen density. When screen zoom is enabled on these devices, this can cause Google Play to select a version of a multi-APK app that’s designed for smaller screens. This issue is fixed in the next version of Google Play services.
- Android Auto: The version of Google Maps included in Developer Preview 5 (9.30) crashes when used with Android Auto. This issue will be fixed in the next update to Google Maps (9.31), expected in the coming weeks
How to Install Android 7 Nougat Preview 5
You can receive and install this and upcoming Android updates directly on your compatible Android device. But first you must enroll and join the Android Beta program. After enrolling to this program you will get OTA over-the-air notification related to any Android updates. If you can’t wait for OTA notification, then you can flash updates manually by downloading Android update files given below.
Download Android Nougat Preview 5 – Final Preview July Update