In Windows 10 there is no direct option to disable or turn off updates for Windows 10. In previous version Windows 8.1 you can control updates download settings from Windows updates settings in Control Panel. By hiding this update settings Microsoft making sure everyone gets latest updates related to security patches and new Windows features. If you really wants to disable Windows 10 automatic updates then you can use one of the following methods and turn off update from Local Group Policy Editor or by disabling update services.
See also: Update and Install Windows 10
Note: Windows 10 Home users should follow the second method “Disable Windows 10 Updates services” given below.
Disable Windows 10 Auto Updates
- First we need to open Windows Group Policy Editor, press windows+R keys from keyboard and type gpedit.msc in the Run window and hit Enter.
- On the left-side in Group policy window open the following path to change the Windows Update settings
Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update
- On the right-hand find “Configure Automatic Updates” setting right-click on it and select Edit from menu.
- In the next window, you will notice this settings is not configured yet by default. So, first select Enabled option from top and then set the options. Set “Notify for download and notify for install” option for configure automatic updating and click Apply button to save the settings and close the window.
- Now, reboot your computer to let the changes applied. When you logged into your computer again and you will notice the changes in Windows Updates Settings as shown below (Updates are ready to download and click the download button if you want to download and install updates manually).
Click the Advanced options link and on that screen you can see update related option that you selected before in the Group Policy Window. You can’t change updates settings from “notify to download” to another settings like auto update, if you want to change that then you have modify it from Group Policy Editor.
Disable Windows Update Service
If you are Windows 10 Home edition user or you couldn’t find the option to disable Windows updates by following above method then try this method to disable updates through Windows services.
- Right-click on Windows Start button and select “Computer Management” option from the menu.
- On the Computer management window in left-panel, expand “Services and Applications” option and then select “Services”. All the running and disabled services will be listed in right-side panel.
- From services list, find a service with the name “Windows Update”. Right-click on this service and select Stop option if this service is already running.
- Now, to make sure this service will not run again on Windows startup. So, right-click again on it and select Properties option. On the Properties window select option “Disabled” from the “Startup type:” drop-down menu. Click OK button to apply changes.
- Now, when you try to check for updates from Windows 10 updates settings then you will see problem installing updates 0x80070422 error. To turn updates on again you need to start the Windows update service and set the startup settings to Manual.
We just want to stop Windows from downloading and installing updates automatically so the second method to turn of auto updates is not suitable, because its totally disable the Windows update services. If you have only one option to choose and disable Windows update service then you should consider Show or hide updates tool from Microsoft. This tool is very handy to prevent installation or unwanted drivers or updates.
If you still having any problem relate to Windows 10 Updates then please reply using form given below and we’ll happy to answer you questions.