Windows 10 comes with tons of new features and improvements. Installing app store apps on another drive, changing location and storing documents, pictures, music and videos are one of those improvements or new features, install app or moved already install apps to an external hard drive or USB drive. However things have changed now as compare to Windows 8, Microsoft includes a new feature in Windows 10 that allow your to change the location or move already install apps to an external drive.
See also: How to Run Windows 10 from USB drive
How to Install Windows 10 Apps on External Drive
In this guide you will see how to install apps on external drive and from same storage options page you can also set different location to save picture, documents, music and videos as well.
- Installing new apps to an external drive it not big deal. Just connect a storage device like SD Card, USB drive or External drive and make sure it’s detected and available in File Explorer. After that press Windows+I keys from keyboard to open “All settings” or you can click on notification icon near computer’s time & date.
- So in “All setting” window click on “System”, where we can edit or change system specific settings.
- No find the “Storage” option in the left-panel. When you click on Storage, you will find all your storage devices connected to the system and under the “Save location” section you can change the installation location for Windows 10 apps, documents, music, pictures and videos.
- To change default storage location for apps, click on “New Apps will save to” drop-down and select your external drive that you just connected in step-1.
That’s it, you are done. Now whenever you want to install new apps from Windows 10 Store. It will automatically install to your selected new locations.
Note: in case you unplugged your select drive and try to install new apps then windows will ask to select new location before installation. Or if you try to execute installed app and your external drive not plugged-in then it will show an error “This app can’t open because it is offline. The storage device might be missing or disconnected”.
Move Windows 10 Installed Apps to External Drive
If you installed tons of apps on your computer that consume a lot of storage, then its better idea to move them to an external drive due to low disk space. Thanks to Microsoft which gives this feature in Windows 10 to move installed apps to another external drive.
- To do that, open All setting (shortcut windows+i), click on “System” then select Apps and “Feature” panel from left.
- Here will find all you installed apps. Now select which app you want to move to an external drive then click on Move button and select the drive in which you want to move your app. As i am selecting my USB drive.
Congrats, you have successfully moved your installed app to an external drive. Open your external drive where you moved app, you will find your app’s files and folders there.
Like it share it, or leave a comment below if you have any question.
Hello, I need help. I installed some apps on a micro SD card in my surface, but the micro sd is damage and now i can’t open or uninstall or reinstall the apps because it says: “”the app can’t open because it is offline. The storage device missing or disconnected device. Can anyone know how to solve it.
I had a similar problem to Katia’s: I forgot to uninstall a couple of apps from an external drive before reformatting the drive. Now I can’t uninstall or even repair (reinstall) the apps. Suggestions?