Sometime you have to force restart your iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, because either its behaving sporadically or not responding.
On previous iDevices you can restart your devices by pressing Home button and power button, this method was called hard restart. But new iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus don’t have Home button, which means there is a new process to forcefully restart your iDevices or enter into DFU mode. These two methods are essential part of iOS troubleshooting process.
Now in iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus there is no Home button, they use a taptic engine to provide button like feedback and it’s not a true button.
How to force restart iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
- On both devices iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus press and hold both the Wake/Sleep and volume down buttons for at least 10 sec, until you see the Apple logo. That’s it.
- On previous iOS devices like iPhone 6S and earlier, iPad ,iPod Touch press and hold the both Sleep/Wake and home buttons for at least 10 sec until you see the Apple logo.
How to enter into DFU mode iPhone 7 or 7 Plus
- First plug your iOS device into computer with a certified cable and launch iTunes.
- Now press and hold the sleep/wake button and volume down button until the display does dark.
- When you see display is dark release the just power button, don’t released the volume button until you see prompt in iTunes that says iPhone is Recovery Mode.
(Note that at this point if your iOS devices screen still black then you are in DFU mode, if you see connect to iTunes logo or Apple logo then you have to start again from step 1. In DFU mode you can flash firmwares through iTunes and this method will perform a clean installation.)
- To exit from DFU mode simply press and hold sleep/wake button and volume down button until the Apple logo appears.