If you are looking to make a MacOS Mojave bootable USB installer drive. Then you have come to the right place. It’s an easy process but the first thing you need to have a working USB flash drive/external hard drive. The second thing you need to download the MacOS Mojave installer app.
By making a bootable MacOS Mojave bootable USB installer drive, you will have the freedom to clean install the MacOS Mojave on many computers without having to download the installer every time.
This article is all about creating your own macOS Mojave bootable install drive.
- First, you need to have a flash drive of 8 GB (or larger) and you need to save all the data from it. Because we have to format It first in order to make it bootable.
TIP: If you have a USB 3.0 drive that would be faster and make things quicker. Otherwise, USB 2.0 will also work without any problem.
- Then you need to download MacOS Mojave 10.14 installer on your Mac. Make sure the installer app should be located in the /Applications folder. Because it is the default application location of a Mac. Just download the latest version of the Mojave installer from the Mac App Store.
How to create MacOS Mojave Installer USB
NOTE: keep it in your mind, while creating a bootable MacOS Mojave USB installer drive that will delete all the files and data contain by USB flash drive. This is a mandatory part in making a MacOS Mojave USB installer drive.
Let’s follow the steps very carefully.
- Download the macOS Mojave installer from the App Store its Free. Open up the App Store on your Mac and search for the macOS Mojave. Download it on your Mac, this will take some time to download. Once Downloaded the installer setup window will open up, just close it. macOS Mojave10.14 installer file will be available under Applications folder.
- To confirm the installer file is available in the Applications folder. Click the Go menu and then select Applications. Make sure “Install macOS Mojave.app” installer file is available here.
- Connect the USB flash drive to the Mac. Make sure this drive is formatted as MacOS Journaled Extended. You can format the USB drive right now using the built-in utility called Disk Utility.
- Open the Terminal window, press a keyboard shortcut to
cmd+spaceopen up the Spotlight search. Type Terminal and hit return to open it (Another way to open it, Click on the Finder Application to open a finder window. Select Applications from the list then find Utilities and double-click on it and then find Terminal and double click on it in order to launch it.)
- Copy the given command and paste it in the Terminal (remember to replace the word “NAME” with the name of your USB flash drive.)
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/NAME
Hit Return and enter the admin password (asked by sudo) and hit return again to start creating the Mojave USB installer drive
Now the process will continue for a while, you need to have the patience for this because first, it will perform a format on USB flash drive then it will be copying files into the flash drive and making it bootable. Finally, when it is done, the window box will appear to report you with the location of the file.
Boot from Mojave Installer USB drive
It’s time to clean install the macOS Mojave from the new installer USB. You can easily boot from the drive either by changing the Mac default Startup disk from the System Preferences or you can boot it from any drive on the boot time by holding down the Option key from the keyboard. When you press and hold the option key at the boot time, this will show you all the drives to select and boot from.