Paying for toll is definitely an extra expense while traveling. But you can bypass the toll roads with the help of navigation apps like Google Maps or Apple Maps. Avoiding the toll roads may save you some money but this may result in more traveling or longest route. If you don’t have any problem with a bit longest routes then here is how to avoid tolls using Google / Apple Maps application.
Use Google Maps to Avoid Toll roads
Google maps app is available for iOS and Android devices and on both devices, you can use this option to avoid the tolls. Don’t have Maps app on your iPhone or Android device? Open up the App Store or Play Store to download it right now.
Steps to avoid tolls on iPhone
Download and install the Google Maps app for your iPhone or iPad and follow the given steps below to find toll-free road for your location.
- Open up the Google Maps app on your device. Search for the destination in the Maps search box and hit the Search button.
- Now, tap the Directions button at the bottom of the screen and the app will show you some routes for your destination. By default, the Maps app may not show the routes without tolls.
- On the top-right corner of the screen, you will see a dotted icon, hit that button and tap “Route options” from the menu.
- On the next screen turn on the avoid tolls switch to On position. Also turn on the Remember settings option if you want to apply these settings for the next time. Tap the back button to see the updated route that bypasses the tolls.
- Hit the Start button and begin your journey.
Steps to bypass tolls on Android
You don’t need to download Google Maps on your Android. It’s a built-in installed app for Android phone users.
- On your Android phone open the Google Maps app and enter your destination and hit Search button.
- Google Maps app will drop a pin at your destination. Hit the Directions button at the bottom of the screen to see the best routes options.
- Tap the vertical dotted icon on the top-right corner and select “Route option” from the popup menu.
- On the options, screen check “Avoid tolls” and hit done button.
Now, you will see a route to your destination avoiding the tolls. Tap the Start button to follow the route.
Avoid Tolls using Apple Maps
Apple maps is another alternative to Google Maps that also allow you to find the best routes for your destinations. Apple Maps comes built-in with iPhone devices. Finding tolls-free routes using Apple Maps is as simple as on Google Maps. Avoiding Tolls option was introduced in iOS 10 for Apple Maps. If you are using iOS 9 or older versions then you have to look for tolls on your route manually.
To avoid tolls roads using Apple Maps iOS 10 or later, you need to follow these steps on your iPhone.
- Open the Settings on your iPhone or iPad.
- Scroll down a bit to find the Maps app and tap on it.
- On the next screen select “Driving & Navigation” option and on the next screen turn on the “Tolls” option available under AVOID section.
Now, you have successfully set the Apple Maps settings to avoid the tolls from your routes.