If you wish to write Urdu language on your Mac running over any previous version like OS X 10.7 then the guide written below will help you in a way that first you have to install Urdu keyboard layout on Mac and then activate it by following the guide below.
Mac systems over Mac OS X 10.7+ has built-in Urdu language support even then you have to activate Urdu by yourself, which you can do by following the specific portion of the guide below, entitled Activate Urdu Input on Mac.
Install Urdu Keyboard Layout on Mac
http://geomete.com/urdumac.htmland then extract the files from compressed zip file.
- Open the extracted “UrduQWERTY-v4mac” folder and there you will find two files with the names “UrduQWERTY.keylayout” and “UrduQWERTY.icns”
- Navigate through “Finder” > “Home Folder” > “Library” > “Keyboard Layouts”
- Copy the extracted “UrduQWERTY.keylayout” and “UrduQWERTY.icns” files and paste in Keyboard Layouts folder opened in step-3
- Restart your Mac to complete the Urdu keyboard install process
Now, the next process is the activation of Urdu Input on Mac, so continue with steps below either you have Mac OS X 10.5+ or 10.7+ system.
Activate Urdu Input on Mac
- Click on “Apple” menu on the left top corner of screen and click “System Preferences”.
- Click “Languages & Text”
- Click “Input Sources” tab and check-mark the box followed by “Keyboard & Character Viewer” and also select “Urdu-QWERTY” from the list and on the same screen-check mark the box with “Show Input menu in menu bar” and close the screen.
- Now, click on US flag in the status bar and there you will see another flag added in the list with the name “Urdu – QWERTY”, which you can select to type Urdu in an application on your Mac system.
If you have any question please feel free to contact us and use the comments form given below.