I was looking for a spare PC, and I found one in my storeroom. When I turned it on its working fine, but I couldn’t connect it to Wi-Fi. In the past, I usually connect to the internet through an Ethernet cable on my PC. Now, everyone uses wireless devices and don’t need Ethernet cables anymore. Older desktop PCs doesn’t come with built-in WiFi antenna. Some modern desktop computers do have a built-in wireless adapter. So I learn how to get Wi-Fi on my desktop PC.
Add Wi-Fi on Desktop PC
So, If you want wireless connectivity on your desktop PC, then you have few options to do that. You can either use a USB to Wi-Fi adapter, a Wi-Fi PCI-E card or replace your motherboard with the one that has built-in wireless capabilities. First two options are suitable for everyone because it’s easy to do and cheap as well. Replacing motherboard isn’t a good idea for just Wi-Fi option unless it’s required. Choose an option given below to get Wi-Fi on desktop PC according to your need.
Use USB Wi-Fi Adapter
Its plug and play, USB Wi-Fi adapter is the easiest and convenient way to make desktop tower pc wireless. Just plug this adapter into the USB port as you do with USB flash drive, you are ready to use Wi-FI on your PC. You might need to install the driver for this but when you have Windows 8 or later versions of Windows installed then the operating system will handle the driver and install it automatically. If you have any older Windows, then you need to read the instructions manual that comes with the Wi-Fi adapter. You can also use USB wireless adapter on your laptop that has broken Wi-Fi adapter.
You can purchase a USB WiFi adapter from Amazon* starting from about $10.
Use PCI-E Wi-Fi Card for Motherboard
This is a wireless card that you need to plug it into the motherboard of your PC. You need to open the box and put this card on the PCI-E slot of the mainboard. This adapter has an antenna that can get more wireless signals than a USB Wi-Fi adapter.
You can buy a PCI-E wireless card for your desktop computer* from Amazon.
To Install the wireless PCI card in your desktop computer follow the given steps or refer to the instructions manual of the PCI card manufacturer.
- Turn off your PC completely.
- Remove the cover of your desktop computer box.
- Find the PCI-E slot on the motherboard and remove the corresponding slot cover from the back of the box.
- Match the PCI-E slot cut with the card and secure it in the slot while routing the antenna in the back of the PC box.
- Put the box cover back and turn it on. Your computer will detect new hardware and follow the on-screen instruction to install it.
* USB Wireless adapters and PCI-E Wireless cards are available in different standards like 802.11 B, 802.11 G, 802.11 N. Where N standard is all backward compatible, so before buying make sure its 802.11 N standard and compatible with your operating system.
* We might get a little commission when you buy using the Amazon links given above.