Backup of anything is good when it comes to backup of emails its very very important specially when its on your local hard disk drive. Most of the people import their emails from server to the local computer using Microsoft Outlook Express.
Suppose if your hard disk crash or due to any other reason you may be lose your all emails, contacts, calendars etc. to make sure you don’t lose anything create backup of outlook emails (.pst) Personal Folders files. This file contains all Outlook emails, Contacts and other data.
To backup Microsoft Office Outlook and Microsoft Outlook Express data files follow those steps:
Microsoft Office Outlook 2007
- Run Microsoft Outlook click on Tools > Account Settings…
- click on the “Data Files” tab & select the data file you want to backup and click on “Open Folder”
this will open the folder that contains outlook.pst
- Take backup of outlook.pst file on CD or DVD. If you archive the emails take backup of archive.pst file as well. Make sure you have closed the Outlook.
Restore: Importing emails (.pst file) back to outlook is very simple just paste the file from where you copied it.
Microsoft Outlook Express 6
- Run Microsoft Outlook Express click on Tools > Options…
- click on the “Maintenance” tab & then click on “Store Folder” this will open a window containing path to the outlook database files.
- Open this path and backup the Outlook Express folder on CD or DVD.
- Click on File > Import and select database type. e.g. if you want to import email messages, select “Messages“
- Select the program your backup files were created from, e.g. “Microsoft Outlook Express 6“.
- Select “Import mail from an OE6 store directory” option. Press OK
- Browse to the location of your backup folder.
- Select “All folders” and click “Next“.
- This will import all messages, and click “Finish”.