There are two default user accounts of iPhone with the name Root and Mobile. If you jailbreak your iPhone then you must change password of Root and Mobile users to secure it. To change iPhone Root and Mobile users password you need to use Terminal app which is available in Cydia if you jailbreak your iPhone. Note: you can using the same method to change root password of a jailbroken iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, iPhone 2G. Lets see how to change password of Root and Mobile users iPhone 4.
Change root password of iPhone 4
- Run Cydia app form you iPhone, tap Search tab and search for “MobileTerminal”.
- Tap the search result “MobileTerminal”, tap “Install” button and tap “Confirm” button on top-right corner to install it.
- When it finished installation, hit the “Return to Cydia” button and then press iPhone Home button to exit from Cydia.
Now you will see a new “Terminal” icon, Run “Terminal” app on you iPhone.
Type the following command
su root and hit return.
Type the default root password which is
alpine and hit return (it doesn’t show the text while entering passwords).
To change root user password type
passwd command and hit return.
Enter the new password that you want and hit return (it doesn’t show the text while entering passwords).
You need to retype new password, so enter it again and hit return.
Type exit command and hit return to logout. Tap and hold on screen and release on “Exit” button, Tap “Yes” button to quit Terminal app.
How to Change password of default user account “Mobile “.
- You can change password for default user account which is “Mobile“.
Exitcommand and hit return if you already logged in with root.
passwdcommand hit return.
- Type Old password
- Type New password and hit return, retype New password and hit return
Exit, hit return
- Now you have successfully changed the password for both iPhone Root and Mobile user accounts.