Switching user in Windows 8.x or Windows 7 is not very big deal, we can switch users in windows by different methods but we can make it more easy by creating a shortcut. Shortcut will help us to switch users from desktop without pressing any key or going into power options. After switching to other user we can also switch back where we lift it. As we already posted a guide to create your own Windows 8 Shutdown and Reboot shortcuts check that too.
We don’t need to install any third-party application to create this switch user shortcut, we can create this shortcut by using Windows file Session Disconnection Utility located in system32 folder and the file name is tsdiscon.exe. You can found Session Disconnection Utility easily in Windows 7, 8 and can be used to perform switch login action.
Create User Switching Shortcut in Windows 8.1, 8 or 7
- Right-click on your desktop and click “New > Shortcut” to create a new shortcut.
- A shortcut window will appears. Enter the location of tsdiscon.exe file in “Type the location of the item:”
C:\Windows\System32\tsdiscon.exeand hit Next button. You can also click the Browse button and choose the tsdiscon.exe file path manually.
- Here enter name of the shortcut like Switch User and hit the Finish button. Your shortcut is created, you can use it to switch user by opening it.
- To create more attractive and give professional look to your shortcut, right-click on it and select Properties. Click on Change Icon button.
- It will give you a warning message, just ignore it and click Ok. On the change Icon window select any icon from the given set of icons, once done click Ok.
Now this shortcut is looks more attractive and proper app icon.
In Windows 8.x you can pin this shortcut to Start, just right-click on the icon and choose “Pin to Start” option from the menu. Feel free to reply below in comments if you have any problem creating shortcut.