WhatsApp is a messaging app which provides user to send and receive text messages around the globe. It uses an active internet connection to send and receive. Besides sending and receiving, it also provides other features including pictures, audio, videos, and other custom files as well. By updating it regularly, the company has also provided audio and video calling features for their users. As an extension in their app, there are some more interesting features one may not know.
WhatsApp Tips and Tricks
Here’s a detailed rundown of some of the popular tips and tricks for WhatsApp.
Enable Voice Calling
At the beginning of WhatsApp, it was just a messaging app. Now WhatsApp has introduced the voice & video calling feature. This feature brought WhatsApp at par with the famous instant messaging applications.
Follow these steps to enable voice & video calling.
- Download the latest version of WhatsApp from Play Store.
- Then you have to make an account on WhatsApp on your cell number
- Only latest versions of WhatsApp has the feature of voice & video calling.
- Launch your WhatsApp application tap on CALLS
- Tap on CALL button as shown in screenshot
- Select your contact you want to CALL as show in screenshot.
In WhatsApp, if you don’t want to show chat in the chat list but at the same time, you don’t want to delete it as well. For this purpose, WhatsApp introduced a feature of archived chats by using this you can hide your chats from chat list and transfer them to Archived chats section.
This is how you can archive any chat from the list.
- Go to WhatsApp Chats section, tap and hold on chat you want to archive. After selecting one, you can tap on others to select multiple chats at once.
- Now, Tap the Archive button to archive your chats as shown in the screenshot.
View Archived Chat
- To access archived chat, scroll down to the end of chats lists.
- Tap on Archived chats
- Press and hold on any chat you want to unarchive and press unarchive button as shown in the screenshot.
Hide Last Seen
Timestamp in WhatsApp tells whether the user is Online or Last Seen date and time. Now you can hide your status from everyone or only for unknown people.
Steps to hide Last Seen in WhatsApp
If you don’t share your Last Seen, you won’t be able to see other people’s Last Seen.
- First of all, launch WhatsApp on your device and go to Menu > Settings > Account > Privacy.
- Tap on Last Seen and choose Nobody.
Following are the last seen options that you can choose from menu.
Every One: The last seen will be visible for every one
My Contacts: The last seen will be visible to your contacts only.
Nobody: The last seen will be hidden from everyone.
Change WhatsApp Phone Number
Follow the given steps below if you just want to change WhatsApp phone number but without deleting your chats.
- Launch your WhatsApp go to Menu > Settings > Account > Change number.
- Tap on next and enter your old phone number and then new phone number in the fields.
- Then tap Done to complete the process.
Enable Two-step Verification
It’s a feature which is recently added by WhatsApp. It adds a layer of security to WhatsApp. When Two-step verification is enabled, you have to enter a 6 digits passcode while registering your phone number with WhatsApp again.
- Run WhatsApp app on your device and go to Menu > Settings > Account > Two-step verification section.
- Tap on ENABLE button.
- Enter 6-digits passcode and remember that passcode.
- Confirm your passcode.
- Enter your email address for the purpose of reset your passcode.
- Confirm your email address and tap Save button to finish it.
Note: WhatsApp may randomly ask you to enter passcode when you open it.
Lock Your WhatsApp
This will work only on Android and for iOS there is a different method. To do this trick you have to download any app lock or WhatsApp lock from the Play Store. This trick will save your WhatsApp and all details in it from the others. In Huawei phone there is built in function of app lock
See how to password lock your WhatsApp.
When you have enabled two-step verification WhatsApp will prompt to enter 6 digits passcode but it does so randomly not all the time when you run WhatsApp.
- There is no built in option to password lock WhatsApp but you can download another app from Google Play Store protect it.
WhatsApp Backup Local or Cloud
You can backup your WhatsApp messages and media (Image, Audio and Videos) on Google Drive and/or on internal storage. Local backups will be automatically be created every day at 2am and they will be saved as a file in your phone.
You can also setup Google Drive to save WhatsApp bakcup
- You must have setup up google account on your phone.
- Then launch your WhatsApp app and go to Menu > Settings > Chats > Chat backup.
- Tap on BACK UP button and you must choose an option on which network you want to make backup. Note choosing cellular may result in additional data charges.
Send Chat Via Email
You can export a copy of chat or group chat individually with a feature Email Chat
- Run WhatsApp and open any individual chat.
- Tap the Menu button, tap More and then tap Email Chat.
- Choose whether you want to send media with conversation or not.
WhatsApp on Web Browser.
Now WhatsApp has a web browser version you can use WhatsApp inside web browser. You can connect your phone to Web version by following these steps.
- Open yours google chrome or any other browser on PC or Mac, type the following address web.whatsapp.com and hit enter. You will see a QR Code on your screen.
- Now , open WhatsApp app on your device and go to Menu > WhatsApp Web.
- Using your device scan the QR code showing on computer screen in the web browser.
Message Seen by and Delivered to
Double check mark right after your message shows that recipient has read your message. Single check show message delivered but not read yet. In group chat you will see double check marks of blue color when all recipients read your sent message.
To see individually who read your message in a group chat, just tap and hold on a message that you sent. Once you message selected tap the info icon at the top. Here you can see message info “Seen by” different group members and “Delivered to” as well.