Many users have reported about proximity sensor issue. Some are reporting that their iPhone’s screen is not going black while they hold their iPhone to their ear while making a call and some are reporting that their iPhone’s screen goes on sleep while talk and they cannot even have it back before the end of the call. It shows that the proximity sensor is too sensitive and having some serious issues.
Proximity sensor works while it detects the presence of a user’s face and ear on a call. This happens because two reasons that going black save the iPhone battery because it turns the display off and the main reason is that it saves the unwanted touches of the face or maybe of the ear while a person is on a call.
This problem often comes with a new update of iOS. After the new update, some of the iPhones have this same problem of the screen going black all the time. You don’t need to worry about it because it is not just happening to you. So you are not alone here.
Remove the case and clean the iPhone screen
First and easiest thing to do is to clean your display with any soft clothes. It can be effective to bring proximity sensor back into his real work. Cleaning the display of an iPhone makes sure that no dust particles are affecting the sensor or blocking the sensors. You need to remove your iPhone case (if you have any) and the screen protector because sometimes screen protectors blocked the sensor and sensor will not work fine. Take a soft clean cloth and clean the display gently.
Force restart your device
If sensor issue has not been solved yet with the first method, then another way to resolve the problem is to force restart your device. It helps to solve any of the issues of the device. The method of force reset is different from the Apple devices because new devices like iPhone X, iPhone 8, they don’t have a home button. So follow the method according to your device.
If you are using an iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus
- Press volume up button and release it quickly
- Press volume down button and release it quickly as well.
- Then press and hold the side button of the device it shows the Apple logo on the screen.
If you have an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 plus
- Press the volume down button and hold it.
- Press the side button and hold it
- So hold both the buttons for about 10 seconds until it shows the Apple logo on the screen.
If you are using an iPhone 6s or any of the earlier models of iPhone
- Press the home button of the device and hold it.
- Press the side button of the device or the top button of the device( for earlier models) and hold it.
- Hold both buttons of at least 10 seconds until it shows the Apple logo on the screen.
Once you are done with the reset, your device should be working fine. Check if the issue has resolved if not then follow the next method.
Update your device
Next thing to do is to update your iPhone to the latest iOS. Updating an iPhone to the latest software helps to fix bugs and minor issues with the device which are causing problems to the device. if you haven’t update your device yet, then you surely need to update it right away.
- Make sure that your device is having much power to update. so put your iPhone to charge first.
- Make sure that your device is having enough space to download the update.
- Then go to settings.
- Go to general.
- Tap on software update.
- Your device will automatically check the update whether it is available or not if it is available then tap on download and install. Let your device complete the further work.
Factory reset or hard reset
If any of the above-mentioned methods doesn’t work for you, then you have to try the Factory reset. Resetting an iPhone wipes out all of your personal data including all apps, contacts, media or any of the websites details. So before resetting your device, make sure that you have already made a backup for it.
- Go to settings.
- Tap on general.
- Scroll down to the bottom and tap on reset.
- Now tap on reset all settings.
- Your device will ask you for the passcode of the device. type the password.
- Confirm the action.
Check if the problem has gone or not. If you still have issues with the proximity sensor, then the last thing to do is to contact the Apple store to solve the issue of your device.