Apple frequently releases iOS updates for iPhone, iPad or iPod touch devices. You might want to install any latest update on your device. In this guide, you will learn how to update iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to the newest version of iOS. You can install iOS updates wirelessly or using iTunes. In some cases you may not see the available software update message on your device then you have to update manually with the help of iTunes application.
IMPORTANT! Backup your iOS device before updating it to the current version. Learn more if you want to create a backup of your iOS device either with iCloud or iTunes.
Update iOS device wirelessly
Updating iPhone, iPad or iPod touch wirelessly is the easiest way. You need an internet connection, charge your device at least 50% or connect it to the power source and also your device must have enough storage space for the latest iOS. To update iOS device wirelessly just follow these steps:
- Open Settings and then go to General > Software Update section. iOS will start checking for new update availability.
- Once, you see a new update is available, just tap the “Download and Install” button.
Your device might be out of storage space. In that case, iOS will alert you to remove some apps temporarily. Don’t worry; iOS will reinstall these apps once the iOS updating finished.
- When iOS finish downloading the iOS, you will see the Install option. Tap Install to start the installation now.
- Enter the device passcode to continue. If you forgot the passcode see what to do.
Your device will reboot, and you will see Apple icon with a progress bar. When iOS update finished, you can go to Settings > General > Software Update section. Here you will see the current iOS version and saying “Your software is up to date.”
Update iOS device using iTunes
In case, you don’t see the update on your device or updating iOS wirelessly failed due to any reason then you can upgrade manually using iTunes on your computer Mac or PC. Make sure your computer is connected to the WiFi or LAN for the internet connection, and the computer’s internet source is not the iOS device Personal Hotspot that you are going to update.
- Your computer must be connected to the internet.
- You must have a data cable to connect your device to the computer [Mac or PC].
- Download and install the latest version of iTunes on your computer.
Follow these steps to update iOS using iTunes
- Connect your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch with the computer using a data cable.
- Open iTunes application and select your device icon. If multiple iOS devices are connected then click the icon and then select the device from the list that you want to update.
- In the left section in iTunes, click the Summary option and then on the right side click “Check for Update” update.
- When an update is available for your device. iTunes will ask you to download it. Click the Download and Update and you need to enter the device passcode to continue updating iOS.
If you see an error during iOS update process, feel free to leave a comment below and ask any question. We will try to solve your problem.