Sometimes finding build and version of Windows 10 is really important that you have currently installed on your PC. In addition to Windows 10 versions and builds there are still different editions of Windows like Home, Pro, etc. that is also required to know sometime.
As you might know that Microsoft claims versions Windows 10 is going to stay here and new builds and updates will be released. Windows 10 new build pop up with major updates twice a year like Windows 10 Anniversary update, October Update 2018 and the last Windows 10 feature update released is Windows 10 May update 2019. Continue reading and you will understand the difference between Windows 10 Versions, Builds, and Editions.
If you don’t know which Windows version and build number currently you are using and it’s really important for you to know it then let’s have a look at how to find Windows 10 version and build number with different methods and also know if your computer support 32-bit or 64-bit operating system.
Difference between Windows versions, editions, builds and architectures
Before we dive into this, let’s clear similar terms which are very easy to confuse like Windows versions, editions, builds and Architecture.
- Windows Versions: Microsoft Windows version refers to major release or you can say friendly names like Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 but the version number is more specific as compared to a simple version like Windows version number was 6.1 and Windows 10 released twice in a year as I said before.
- Windows Editions: Windows edition a bit different, these are the flavors of operating system like windows has different flavors and of course, these flavors have different features such as Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Enterprise, Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Education.
- Windows build number: Build number is the most specific or exact version of the operating system that you have installed. This will show the exact number of windows version.
- Windows Architecture: it means that you have a 32-bit or 64-bit processor you have in your computers. It also affects your windows and performance. 63-bit processors are more powerful as compare to 32-bit because 64-bit processor can handle more data at once. You can’t install 64-bit windows and apps to 32-bit OS but 64-bit OS allows you to install 32-bit Apps and Windows.
You also have to install 32-bit Windows to the 32-bit processor and 64-bit Windows to a 64-bit processor.
How to find Windows 10 version or Build number
Method 1: Using winver command
- Finding Windows version or build number using winver command is the quickest way. To do this first you need to press “win + r” from the keyboard.
Alternatively, just press the windows key form your keyboard and type “winver” and then select winver from the search result.
- The run command will be open where you type the name of a program, folder, document or internet resource and Windows will open it for you. Here type “winver” and click on Ok.
- When you click the OK button from run command, About Windows popup will appear. Here you will find your installed Windows 10 version, OS build and Windows 10 edition like in my case I have Windows version 1903 with OS build number 18362.116 and Windows 10 Pro edition.
Method 2: From Settings app
- This method will also show your desired information but look will be different as compare to “About Windows”. First, you need to open Settings by clicking on “All settings” from the notification panel.
Alternatively: Press Windows key form your keyboard and type settings, then select Settings app from the search results.
- In Windows Settings, click on the first option “System”.
- After clicking on the system, scroll down to find “About” tab from the left menu list and click on it.
- Now you will find everything about your Windows in ”Windows specifications” section.
How to check, Is my computer 32-bit or 64bit?
if you wanted to find out whether your computer is 32-bit or 64bit. follow the steps below. We already a discuss difference between 32-bit and 64-bit processors above.
Open All Settings from the notfication panel, then click on System options. After that scroll down to the end of the page and click on About. Here it shows System type. The 64-bit operating system, X64-based processor. Which means I have installed 64-bit Windows 10 on my computer and my computer’s processor is 64-bit.
Alternatively: Simply right-click on This PC from desktop and select Properties.
How to find out the Latest Windows 10 Update
Now you know how to check Windows 10 version and build number but not sure yet which version or build number is the latest right now. Recently Windows 10 May update released with many features and changes a few days ago. You might want to install Windows 10 May update 2019 right now? You may also look at Windows 10 May update 2019 feature and changes.
The simple and easy way to check current Windows 10 version is by checking form Microsoft Download windows 10 page.
How to find out the Latest Windows 10 build number
To find out the latest Windows 10 build number you also have to look at Microsoft Windows 10 release information page. On this page you will find out all the previous and current released build history such as version, Servicing option, availability date, OS build, latest revision date, and end of service.