In Windows 10 you always got a confirmation dialog whenever you delete something from your computer. But in Windows 11 it doesn’t show any confirmation but put the files in the Recycle Bin. I know it’s not deleted from the computer permanently and just moved it to the Recycle Bin from where I can retrieve it later. If you want to bring back the old confirmation dialog then here is how to do it.
How to Enable Delete Confirmation Dialog
- I started using Windows 11 and I deleted something from my desktop. I noticed It didn’t show me the delete confirmation dialog, Are you sure you want to delete it? Instead, it’s deleted the file and moved to the recycle bin.
- To show its dialog before moving the file to recycle bin or deleting permanently, right-click on the Recycle Bin icon and select the Properties option.
- In the Recycle Bin Properties windows, check the option “Display delete confirmation dialog” as you can see below in the screenshot.
- After turning this option on, I deleted another file to test it.
- Here you can see I start getting the confirmation dialog.
See Also: Show This PC Icon on the Desktop
Show Recycle Bin Icon on the Desktop
Due to any reason, if Recycle Bin icon isn’t showing on the desktop then here is how to display it.
- Right-click on the Desktop anywhere empty area and then select the
Personalizeoption from the menu.
- In the next window, select the
Themesoption on the right side.
- In the next window, scroll down a little bit and click
Desktop icon settingsthe option.
- This will open the Desktop Icon Settings window, where you can check the options for the Icon you want to show on the desktop. So, we want to show the Recycle Bin icon, simply check this option and click the OK button to save the settings.
Now, you can see the Recycle Bin icon and other icons that you checked to show on the desktop.
So, this is how you can show the delete confirmation dialog before deleting the files from the computer and also how to display different icons on the desktop.