Gmail is the most popular email service used by most of the persons. When you send an email to someone your name is displayed to the recipient. When creating an email account then you have to provide your display name. On the other hand, you can change it afterward. You can change your display name on your Gmail account by following some simple and easy steps. Let’s see how you can do it.
The Gmail app on your iPhone, iPad, or Android phone doesn’t support changing your display name. You need the web version of Gmail and open it in the browser.
- Login to your account by providing your credentials to change the display name on your Gmail account. Open up the Gmail website and log in, locate the
gearicon on the top right of your browser screen and click on it to open the
- On the Settings menu look for
See All Settingsoption and click on it to see all the settings you can do for your account.
- The settings screen will appear and you will see General settings by default. Locate the
Accounts and Importtab and click on it to see your required settings.
- Locate the
Send mail assection. You will find your display name along with your email address. Locate the
edit infolink and click on it to change the display name setting. A pop-up screen will appear.
- On this screen, you can change your display name. Click on the
option buttonin front of the text field under the
Namelabel. Type your desired name
e.g. Test Namein the field and locate the
Save Changesbutton. Click on the button to save the changes you made.
- The pop-up window will disappear and you will find your changed name in the
Send mail assection.
The new name will be displayed to the recipients from now on when you send your very following email.
The user name and the display name are different. You can change the display name but can’t change the user name. The user name is basically your email address and you can’t change your email address for the same account. If you want to change your user name, go for a new Gmail account.