In this helpful guide, I will tell you different ways to check the Windows 11 Edition, Version, and Build number you have currently installed on your laptop or desktop computer.
Windows comes in different flavors like Home, Professional, Education, and Enterprise. Sometimes you are looking for a Windows feature and suddenly know that it’s now available in your Windows. So, you have to know the installed Windows 11 edition and version. This way you can confirm whether the feature you are looking for is available on your computer or not.
For example, The Bit-Locker Encryption, Windows Information Protection (WIP), and all the Business management and deployment features are not available in Windows 11 Home edition but in Windows 11 Pro. You can check the complete list of features comparison on the Microsoft website.
When you bought a new computer and it comes with preinstalled Windows then you might not know the installed Windows edition. If you want to know the install Windows 11 operating system information then continue reading for 6 different ways to find the Windows 11 edition, version, and build number.
Find out Windows 11 edition using the About Windows dialog
- Press the Windows button from your keyboard and type,
winverthis will instantly search for it and show you the best match. Click
winverfrom the search results as you can see below.
- This will open up the About Windows dialog. As you can see below in the screenshot, I have installed Windows 11 Pro Edition. It also shows the
Versionwhich is 21H2 and the OS
Know your Windows 11 version, build, and edition via the Settings app
- To know the Windows 11 edition you have installed, you can use Windows Settings to get that information. Click the Start button and select Settings, or you can just press the
Windows+Ikeyboard shortcut to open Windows 11 Settings.
- In the Settings window, select the
Systemoption from the left panel and then scroll down a bit on the right side and select the
- Here, you can see the complete Windows specifications including Edition, Version, installed date, OS build, and more.
Check Windows 11 edition using System Information
- System Information is another source from where you can check all the operating system-related information. So, click the Search or Start button and search for the System Information. In the search results, click System Information.
- Make sure you have selected System Summary from the left panel and on the right side, you can see the OS Name entry which is Windows 11 Pro edition on my laptop. The second entry is Version which shows the currently install Windows version and build number.
There is plenty of information about your Windows operating system and hardware as well. So, remember to open system information when you need any hardware or software-related information.
Get Windows 11 Edition details Using Command Prompt
- Open a command prompt window, You can search it using the Search button or just press a keyboard shortcut: Windows+R and then type cmd in the Run Window and hit Enter.
- This will open up a command prompt window. Type
systeminfocommand and hit Enter to fetch all the system information including OS Name, OS Version, and a lot more.
Check Windows 11 Version and build via Windows PowerShell
- Just right-click on the Start button and then select the
Windows Terminaloption from the menu.
- This is just like the Command Prompt window. Now, type
systeminfoand hit enter to execute the command. In return, this will collect and show you all the required information.
Was that helpful?
Following the given methods above you can find all the details about the installed operating system on your computer. This information might not need regularly but in some cases sits really important to know all the details about the installed Windows operating system. If you still have any questions please do leave a comment below.