How to Reset Samsung Galaxy Tab to Factory Settings

A factory reset will reset your Samsung Galaxy Tab to factory settings and your all data on the device will be removed. So before doing the reset process its better to backup your all data like Contacts, Emails, SMS, etc. from your device. If you are ready then lets see how to reset Samsung Galaxy Tab.

reset-galaxy-tabIf your device hangs and unresponsive some time due to any application then try to remove this application. To reboot unresponsive Samsung Galaxy Tab, press and hold the “Power” button for about 10 seconds your device will reboot automatically.

If problem still persists and Galaxy Tab is unresponsive again then its better to hard reset / restore to factory settings.

Reset Galaxy Tab from Android OS

• Menu > Settings > Privacy > Factory data reset
  • Read and follow the on screen instruction carefully.

Reset Galaxy Tab with Hardware Keys

If Android OS is not loading then you can hard reset Galaxy Tab using hardware Keys combination.

• Make sure tab is turned off, Press and hold the Power button for about 10 seconds to turn it off.
  • Press and hold the “Volume Up” and “Power” buttons at the same time, when logo appears on the screen release the “Power” button and continue press the “Volume” button
  • When recovery screen appears use “Volume Up/Down” buttons to navigate and select “wipe data / Factory reset” by pressing the “Home” or “Power” button (Depends on Galaxy Tab model).

So also:

How to reset Samsung Galaxy S

How to root Galaxy Tab

How to capture Galaxy Tab screenshot

How to create custom ringtone for Galaxy Tab

and even more Galaxy Tab tricks

34 comments… add one

kjs1977 December 14, 2010, 12:17 am

“When recovery screen appears use “Volume Up/Down” buttons to navigate and select “wipe data / Factory reset” by pressing the “Power” button.”

You actually need to press the home key on the Tab, not the power button

trickYguY December 14, 2010, 3:02 am

Can you tell me model# of Galaxy Tab you are using, so i can fix the guide.

kjs1977 December 14, 2010, 3:04 am

The model is GT-P1000

trickYguY December 14, 2010, 3:28 am

Thanks for notifying another model, now its fixed.

napstery January 9, 2011, 8:30 pm

how many minutes do i wait.. i did it but it shows an icon and nothings happen.. my model is g-p1000..tnx

Zamuel January 27, 2011, 11:08 am

My SGT z4root already, then i try to u a bettery icon for SGS only, then i reboot, it just hold at ” SAMSUNG ” logo.
i have try to use “Power” key + “Volume” Up to reset, but not work.. please help me ASAP. thanks

zeroLink February 17, 2011, 9:45 am

how long that i have to wait when i wipe data/restore factory setting?

my model is GT-P1000

hoam May 3, 2011, 7:26 am

I have the same problem. When I select the wipe data option. The icon shows up but never goes away. I waited in excess of 1 hour.

Any one with an insight into this issue?

NETO June 13, 2011, 8:17 pm

I have the same problem. Have you figure it out ?

xHET July 19, 2011, 12:55 am

And me. Device stuck with Downloading… Do not turn off Target!!

Scuzzy October 13, 2011, 11:00 pm

Here’s some trick for GT-P1000….

wipe data option > touch the android icon on screen > confirm wipe of all user data? > choose “YES” by Volume Down Key > press “Home” key to confirm > touch the android icon on screen again > choose “reboot the system now” >press “Home” key to confirm

latty April 1, 2012, 9:16 pm

awwwwww thanks sooooooo much that was very helpful. it helped me to get my phone back

Toyin Iletogbe October 22, 2014, 8:58 pm

Thanks Scuzzy! it worked, you’ve been very helpful.

Calvyin September 8, 2011, 4:41 am

I need help whit how change the tab to chinees version GT-P1000R 2..2 P1000RUXJJ6

vionanci September 19, 2011, 11:25 am

Hi, I had the “Freeze” problem and I follow this guide to do the factory reset using the volume & power button, to get the wipe data option…and I succeeded. Nice!! Works fine with my Samy P1000

Thanks for the sharing…!

ako October 21, 2011, 9:21 am

I pressed that thing and now I have my problem. How can I translate my galaxy tab in english again? Help me please

trickYguY October 21, 2011, 4:19 pm
darryl November 13, 2011, 9:22 pm

thnx it worked :D!!

Tom April 20, 2012, 5:56 am

Hi, I am having a bit of a problem with my Samsung Galaxy Tab. It is stuck on the boot screen (Galaxy Tab and underneath says SAMSUNG). It is also not responding when trying to make it go into recovery mode.

Any help would be great,
Thanks.

-Tom

JASON August 1, 2012, 10:53 pm

Hi could you help me I just rooted my phone and everytime I get to open my gt p1000 their is a 6sec blank screen after the Samsung logo please help I’m really desperate.

Jose November 19, 2012, 3:50 pm

Hi, I have tried to restore my P1000 using the wipe data / factory reset process and now my tablet is showing “flashing” the provider logtype and don’t working properly. He didn’t restore.

joedee.lungu@facebook.com July 23, 2014, 2:09 am

I have galaxy tablet 3 GT-6100……..its not starting. when I turn it on, its stopping at “ANROID” … please help me reset it… please

TrickyWays August 5, 2014, 8:24 pm

It seems like software issue, Please try to Factory reset your Galaxy Tab GT 6100.

ryan February 27, 2013, 1:11 pm

HELLO MY I RESET MY GALAXY TAB AND NOW IT WONT LET ME WATCH ANY INTERNET MOVIES AT ALL, PLEASE HELP

nana October 31, 2013, 1:15 pm

hi, may i ask u what to do if the upper part of the screen( galaxy tab p1000)do not respond to touch?the part where it show time and wireless connection, i can’t slide it downward,plizz help me

agus December 4, 2013, 8:08 pm

I am having trouble i clicked on the reboot icon because i wanted to restart my Samsung galaxy tab3 it turns on but it wont load to the home screen,its only stays on the Samsung icon loading screen

Anyo December 11, 2013, 6:27 am

Once you reset your Galaxy Tab, it will take some to settings things again. So be patient, give it some time.

elvis July 22, 2014, 12:49 am

please i have samsung gt 27.0 and i have, hard reset but it cannot reset. please help me, thank you

TrickyWays August 5, 2014, 8:34 pm

What you mean can not reset, did you go through the process of resting it or you don’t know know to do that?

Julie August 6, 2014, 7:45 pm

Hi there – can you help me please! I have Galaxy tab 2 which i have tried to reboot. Not sure if have done properly. I pressed wipe data/factory settings etc. Then reboot system now. The screen then goes blank. On pressing the power on button again, the little Android appears but has ‘fallen over’ with a red triangle stating there is ‘no command’. It then asks for me to forward a command file? I have no idea what this means!!!! Any ideas what i can do will be VERY gratefully appreciated. The tablet is used by my son who has ASD and is devastated this is now not working.n Thanks.

TrickyWays August 6, 2014, 9:30 pm

Install Samsung Kies, and fresh restore your Galaxy Tab 2.

julie August 6, 2014, 11:56 pm

Thank you for response ……but how do I do that?

Atif October 28, 2014, 8:56 pm

Hi, I have tried to restore my Samsung Tab P-1000 using the wipe data / factory reset process but its failed to wipe the existing software and data. By rebooting the tab all the applications appears again and didn’t working properly. please help me.

TrickyWays October 30, 2014, 3:55 pm

Did you get any failed message or you just saying failed because all the old apps appears again after reset?