If you have both Mac and PC at home or Office and I am sure you want to either access Mac files from PC or access PC files from Mac. In this guide, you will see how to share Mac files for Windows using Mac OS X Snow leopard and Windows 7. This process is simple and straightforward, but first, you need to set up your Mac to share files/folder with windows by enabling file sharing option.
This guide is created using Mac OS X Snow leopard and Windows 7. See also File sharing Mac OS X Lion and Windows 7
Make sure both computers Mac and PC are connected to the same network Either Wireless or Cable.
Right-click on the desktop and create a “New Folder,” put your all stuff in it that you want to share with Windows 7 (Instead of desktop you can create this folder some other place as you wish).
Click on “System Preferences…” option under “Apple” menu.
Click on “Sharing” icon under “Internet & Wireless” section.
Enable file sharing on Mac:
- Note down the IP address of your Mac computer.
- Check the “File Sharing” checkbox on the left side.
- Click on “+” sign to add a shared folder that we have created in step-2.
Select folder form “Desktop” and hit “Add” button.
Add a new user:
- The shared folder is added, now Hit the “+” sign to add a user as shown below. You will use this user to log in from Windows while accessing Mac.
Hit the “New Person” button.
Enter User Name and Password and hit “Create Account” button.
Select User Name that you have added and hit “Select” button.
Final Step on Mac:
- You can see the Windows user is listed under “User” section (You can manage user rights by clicking on “Arrows” in front of username).
- Now do the final step on Mac, Click the “Options” button.
- Make sure the following check boxes are checked “Share files and folders using AFP” and “Share files and folders using SMB (Windows).”
- Also, check the Windows username checkbox that you have added in step-6 this will prompt to enter the password,
Enter the user’s password that you entered while creating a new user in step-6 and hit “OK” and then “Done” button.
Now Windows Part:
In Windows 7 Press Windows + R keys from keyboard to open Run Window, and type the Mac computer IP address as shown below. You have noted Mac IP address in step-5.
You will see a login Window, Enter the User Name and Password that we have created in Step-6.
Finally, you can see the folder in Windows 7 that you have shared on Mac.
This took a lot of time to write; leave some comments below and feel free to ask anything.