Our guide is for those exhausted people who fed up from their device, Because it is asking to update iOS it again and again or showing you to the option of install now or remind me later messages. We will help you to solve your problem and guide you to stop your Apple device (iPad or iPhone) from asking to update the latest version of iOS or trying to update and download it without your permission.
Is your device continuously asking you to update your device? if you are tired of it want to get rid of auto-update, you have visited a right place for the solution.
Why does Apple push its user to update their devices?
Apple wants its users to be updated and Apple makes it sure to move its users to the latest version of iOS because it’s more secure and performance optimized.
Some of the users found this auto update amusing because it keeps them updated with the latest version of iOS and keeps them away from bugs and security threats. It is best for Apple too because the latest update helps Apple to manage its user an easy way. There are fewer chances of malware and hacks in the latest version of iOS because Apple quickly fixed the vulnerability in the next release when they found it.
If any new updates for iOS are available then download process runs automatically in the background. Once iOS download completed it will continuously ask you to install it on your device and update your device to the latest version.
iOS Automatic Updates
In iOS 11.x and older versions, you will get alerts to install the update. because iOS is already been downloaded in the background. The downloaded software update stored on your device which is taking storage space. After download iOS will keep asking for permission to install right now or schedule it for the night. Usually downloaded update starts installing in your device at night when your device is connected to a Wi-Fi connection and plugged-in and charging.
In iOS 12 Apple added a new setting to Automatic Update iOS, by default this option is turn off, If this setting is turned on then iOS will not ask for permission and install the downloaded iOS later. To check these settings follow these steps:
- Open Settings on iPhone or iPad
- Go to General and then Software Update
- Tap Automatic Updates and turn the switch On to auto install the downloaded update later tonight. If the switch is Off then it will ask for permission to install the downloaded software update.
How to delete the downloaded update
Here is our step by step guide to delete the already downloaded update from your device and you won’t be getting alerts in future after deleting it. Of course, you will free up some space on iPhone or iPad that software update is taking.
- Open the Settings app scroll down a bit and Tap General.
- Tap iPhone Storage (or iPad Storage, depending on which device you’re using).
- By just scrolling down a little, you will find apps and their space. There you will find automatically downloaded update as showing above in the screenshot iOS 12 Public beta 8.
- Tap this update to see more details, and then select Delete Update.
- Tap Delete Update to confirm.
Now deleting the downloaded update will save your iPhone storage. Not only that your device will not bother you by asking again and again to update your device. You will not get any update message again until your device connected to Wi-Fi and starts download newly released iOS in the background.
Block iOS update background downloading
You can’t block the iOS downloading in your iPhone or iPad. There are no settings available to disable the background downloading or software update. But, there is a way to disable iOS downloading. This solution is for you if you don’t want to download any latest update automatically on your iPhone or iPad.
Actually, we are going block the Apple download server from where your device gets the updates. To do that we need to modify the WiFi router security settings. Usually, you need to open your router’s setting and there you need to find an option of domain filtering/ blocking and enter the domains of Apple’s site to block it.
Wi-Fi router settings to block download
Every router has its own way of blocking the domains. Here is step by step process of blocking domains in TP-LINK routers. We can’t cover the all router’s settings here. So, either consult the owners manual or leave a comment below with your router’s details and we will help you.
- To open the router’s control panel you must know the IP address. The default address to access control panel type 192.168.1.1 or http://tplinka.net in the browser and hit Go.
- You also must know the username and password to access the router’s settings. The default username is admin and password is also admin.
- First, you need to enable the Firewall option in your router. So, on the left-side click Security and then Firewall.
- Now, click the checkbox Enable Firewall (the general firewall switch). After that click Enable Domain Filtering and click Save button.
- Again on the left-side click Security and then Domain Filtering.
- Now, click Add New button.
- Type the domain name as
appldnld.apple.comin the Domain Name text box and make sure Enabled is selected in the Status drop-down.
- All done just click the Save button to save the settings.
- To add further domains just click the Add New button and add a new website.
Now your router won’t give access to Apple iOS download server. You need not worry about updates to download automatically in the background. If you want to check whether it working perfectly or not, go to iPhone / iPad Settings > General > Software Update and check if it is showing “unable to check for update” then our process has worked fine.
Hope our article helped you to solve your problem. Stay in touch and keep visiting our site for more solutions.