You can use Picture in picture mode or PIP if the website or video player has implemented the PIP support. Most of the famous browser and video-sharing websites like YouTube already support the picture in picture mode. When PIP is enabled you can keep watching the video and do your work simultaneously. A practical example using PIP is, you are watching a tutorial video and implementing the tutorial at the same time.
Table of contents
Picture-in-Picture Mode in Google Chrome
- Open up Google Chrome browser Go to your favorite videos websites like YouTube or Netflix and start playing the video as you normally do. When the video is playing right-click on the video and you will see a dark gray menu. When this menu is opened, right-click again on the video anywhere outside of the gray menu. You will see another menu.
- From this light gray menu, select
Picture in picturethe option as shown below in the screenshot.
- Your browser will be minimized and the video is now floating on the desktop in the right-bottom corner of the screen.
- This video will stay on top of all the windows, and you can keep working on other stuff while watching this video.
You can click and drag the video to move it to another corner of the screen.
You can click the X button to close the Picture-in-picture mode or click the Back to tab option and restore the video in the browser.
So, this is how to picture-in-picture in the Chrome browser.
Using Picture-in-Picture Mode in Mozilla Firefox
Mozilla Firefox is another most used browser, now let’s see how to picture-in-picture in the Firefox browser.
- Start playing the video in Firefox on Youtube or other video websites.
When the video starts playing, you will notice a picture in the picture icon at the right-bottom corner of the screen. This icon is a square with an arrow inside pointing to the right-bottom corner, see the screenshot below.
Click this icon to enable picture in picture mode in Firefox.
- As you can see Firefox detached the video and showed the video on the Desktop as a floating video. Keep doing the work with other apps and this video will keep playing on the top of all windows.
You can drag and move the floating video to another place on the desktop.
- To exit from the picture in picture mode, take your cursor on the video and it will show you a
Xbutton to close the video.
Enable Picture-in-Picture Mode in Microsoft Edge
using picture in picture mode in Microsoft Edge is the same as used in Google Chrome.
- Play the video in the Edge on your favorite video website, like I am playing a video on YouTube.
Right-click on the video while it’s playing and you will see a dark gray color menu. Don’t select an option from this menu. When this menu is opened right-click again and you will see another menu.
Picture in picturefrom this context menu to enable the picture in picture mode.
- Picture in picture mode is enabled now and video will detach from the browser. This will stay on top of every app while you working on other stuff and watching the video as well.
- Use the cross X button to exit from the Picture in picture mode.
Watch Offline Videos in Picture-in-Picture on Windows
You might want to use the picture in picture mode for a video you stored on your computer locally. For that, you have to use the built-in app called
Movies & TV. This Windows app is available in Windows 10 and Windows 11.
- Go to the folder where you have the video file on your PC. Right-click on the video select the
Open withoption and then select the
Movies & TVoption (You might see
Film & TVthe option on your computer instead of Movies & TV).
- In the video player, at the right-bottom corner of the player, you will see the icon
Play in mini viewas you can see in the screenshot below. Click this icon to start using the picture in picture mode offline on your computer.
- As you can see the video is playing in the corner now and you can keep working on other stuff while watching the video. You can drag and move the video to another location of the screen if it’s blocking the view.
- Rollover to see the video controls like close the video, Play or Pause, and more.
So, this is how you can use Picture-in-picture mode on Windows while playing offline videos or while using any browser like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Microsoft Edge and playing YouTube or Netflix.
Was that helpful?
If this guide helps you use the picture in picture mode or you have any questions, please leave a comment below.